Innovation Librarian – Health Sciences Libraries at Temple University
The Health Sciences Libraries at Temple University seek a dynamic and creative colleague to take a leadership role in developing and coordinating the libraries innovation services. Based at the Ginsburg Library, this new position will engage health sciences faculty, staff and students in exploring new technologies (such as 3D printing and VR) for groundbreaking applications in patient care, education and research. Temple University is a vibrant, urban research university with over 1,700 full-time faculty and a student body of 36,000 that is among the most diverse in the nation. For more information about Temple and Philadelphia, visit http://www.temple.edu/about/.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Innovation Librarian will lead the Health Sciences library’s innovation efforts, coordinating and expanding the library’s current services and programs. S/he will oversee the Ginsburg Library’s new innovation space – managing equipment, software and tools; oversees and trains innovation space student staff; and develops and delivers educational programs that support and promote the use of new technology. The Innovation Librarian will seek out partnerships within the health sciences community, as well as relevant constituents from areas such as bioengineering and computer sciences, to identify areas of collaboration and build new interdisciplinary connections. This position reports to the libraries’ Director, with a dotted line to the Head of Research, Education and Outreach. The Innovation Librarian will also serve as part of a team providing research, reference and consultation services. Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
ALA accredited master’s degree in Library Science.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of 3D printing and scanning, 3D design software (such as SOLIDWORKS, AutoCAD, or SketchUp), and/or related makerspace technologies, including virtual reality (VR) platforms such as Google Cardboard.
- Familiarity with implementing new technologies in an academic (college or university) library or health sciences library setting.
- Aptitude for teaching and developing user-oriented documentation, particularly web-based.
- Commitment to professional development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- One (1)+ years of experience working in a makerspace or lab environment.
- Experience in an academic health sciences library.
- Familiarity with copyright and patent law, and laboratory safety practices.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Competitive salary and benefits package, including relocation allowance. Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To apply for this position, please visit www.temple.edu, click on Careers At Temple at the bottom of the home page, and reference 16003937. For full consideration, please submit your completed electronic application, along with a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to cultural diversity.